Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The American's With Disabilities Act

Watching the Google Impact Challenge: Disabilities reminded me of how my own understanding of disabilities and accommodations has evolved. As an elementary aged child of a military family stationed in Hawaii in the 1970’s, I remember vividly having a disabled boy in my class who was confined to a wheelchair and had to use a catheter bag. I had never met anyone at that age who was in a wheelchair but when I look back now, I recognize how lucky I was to have had an inclusive classroom as a child – something many kids do not even have now! My school had an “old” campus without accommodations and a “new” side of the campus that had ramps and other physical changes to accommodate him and others with disabilities on my campus. This classmate of mine would not have known how much headway was approaching with the forthcoming Americans with Disabilities Act in our time together, but at the time we were in school in the 70’s, the law in place was called “Education for All Handicapped Children Act” which preceded the ADA from 1975 to 1990.

Fast forward to the era of the ADA passage in 1990 where I was an older teen and had just finished with high school. In those memories, I recall the changes in the curbs on streets in my new hometown in Arizona where my dad was nearly retired from the military and was serving on the City Board. I remember my father once complaining about the ADA and telling me about “unfunded mandates” and how he thought it was unfair that cities had to cover the cost for something that was the Federal government’s idea, even if it meant those who were disabled in our city could benefit. Although my dad and I tended to disagree on politics in much of my adulthood, he came around to appreciating the Americans with Disabilities Act. After a Parkinson’s Disease diagnosis for both my parents, they would need those curbs and handicap accessible ramps. And for me as their caregiver, I found that all of us could benefit from the ADA on streets, in businesses, and even at the beach using a beach “wheelchair”. It is helpful to know that in every city around the nation, the law has been mostly upheld in public spaces and that accessibility is increasing.

Before the ADA: The Recognition of A Need for Legislation
The biographical clips in the “Google Impact Challenge: Disabilities” were powerful since they honed in on the American Dream & the pre-ADA disparity for those with a disability. Judy Heumann cited the aspiration many Americans strive for -- wherein hard work translates to the ideal life. Yet instead she said that in those pre-ADA days, for her the reality was, “…if you had a disability, working hard and studying hard didn’t mean anything.” For former Senator Tom Harkin’s brother, having hearing loss meant his career options were extremely limited and he had little in the way of job choices before the ADA. In the days before the ADA Legislation was made into law, fulfilling careers for those with disabilities were unlikely. Ms. Heumann and others’ examples showed how just planning for jobs in the absence of accommodations meant overcoming problems with access as well as facing others’ biased and ignorance about disability.

After the Americans With Disabilities Act
With nearly two decades since the ADA Law’s passage, it is clear that inequities exist now. But the requirement that workplaces and local governments must abide by this law has paved the way for access, accommodations and legal recourse so that accountability to this law is upheld. In my own four decades since I was in elementary school, I have seen the ADA’s benefits in terms of employment and recreational/leisure opportunities that make it possible to see how inclusion is possible and increasing. I especially liked the quote from Tatyana McFadden, a Paralympian who seemed to feel there was unlimited potential for those with disabilities when she stated, “We have a right to do everything and anything that we want and it’s because of the ADA.” The promise of the ADA Law is still alive and well. But along with the progress made since days past, is the challenges wrought in the present.

How the ADA Affects Me: Caregiver Advocacy & Teaching About Disability Awareness
I studied family caregiving for my dissertation and since I graduated in 2013, I have been speaking to support groups when I have time. This means that for my talks I need to know about topics like accessible “Family Bathrooms” and inclusive leisure locations (including movie theaters and bowling alleys). Many times caregivers don’t know about activities and placesthey can go with their family member with a disability because they are not aware of the reach of the ADA and how many places have accommodations. I've also been studying Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) this year with a program at the MIND Institute. I’ve become aware of Educational funding for special education services and how IDEA Laws improved services for those with disabilities in schools. The ADA affects those with Autism and other disabilities because of its assurances of things as small as access and as big as employment opportunities that have allowances for accommodations. I looked specifically at Autism and Intellectual Disability this year in the MIND Institute Program and found how many of those entering adulthood with this type of disability face an increased unemployment outlook. Many hiring directors in workplaces have misconceptions about the potential of those with Intellectual Disability and may not consider ways they can contribute in a meaningful way.

Finally, I wrote a children’s book about disability awareness called, My Grandpa Wants to Get a Porcupine for which I offer workshops to kids, senior communities, and support groups with a message of inclusion. For adults, to increase awareness requires a strong understanding of current discrimination and bias. This is something that American society needs to face head on, and it often means looking at unconscious fears of the disabled that many may harbor without knowing it. The feedback I get from my workshops, for adults and kids alike, shows me that acceptance can happen but it is slow and greater visibility and awareness only helps everyone see we are all alike. I know that explaining the ADA is a helpful addition to the curriculum I can teach (including at an upcoming elementary program I’ll offer at a local school near my home this May).

Below is an ad for the ADA Expo near my home which featured local vendors who have assistive devices and services. Companies like these have given support and are what makes the ADA continue to flourish today in helping those with disabilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Caregiving Blog -A New Focus Shift in 2026

NOTE: THIS IS THE LAST BLOG RELATED TO FAMILY CARE/CAREGIVING. STAY TUNED FOR A NEW BLOG 2026 (AND ARCHIVED BLOG POSTS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN ...