Sunday, December 16, 2018

Post-Humous Post from a Wise Blogger on Acts of Creating Art

This is a one-time blogger, my dad, who wrote on the topic of aging, living in assisted (& skilled) care and aging with grace. He describes having made his first piece of art with the subject of a bowl of fruit and that piece will be featured on the back cover of my book co-authored with Gael Chiarella Alba which is titled, "Fruits of Care".


This holiday season, I think it merits a re-post.
--------
Bill Zint, today’s blogger, was my dad who speaks below about topics that show a life well lived. He lived from 1936-2015.

The "greatest" generation is aging and many of us can't live in the same places. Like it or not, we are all moving in the direction of being dependent upon others as we age. Those of us who have worked all of our lives and made our contribution often move to a different place in life. Having moved for the military in my own particular life journey, it was intense...with wife and 4 kids in tow. Often our home was large -- a military home in Thailand was more than 4,000 square feet, but we averaged 2000 square feet in more than 2 dozen homes where we were stationed. Retirement meant downsizing of possessions when we became empty nesters.

Next the "cottage" life in an active senior community peaked our interest. The cameraderie of seniors, a swimming pool, and golf cart rides were amazing. But when I broke my hip, there was a need for "assistive" living. There are some positives in this -- a move to nicer weather near family in California. I found I got to meet new people and found new things to do like painting. Then there was the move to an assisted living, and the two after that which were both a “Continuum of Care” for my wife’s needs and my own as our disease state progressed from Parkinson’s Disease. Each time our needs changed, we packed up again in sadness at the adjustment but knowing it was what was needed to do. It seemed we always had to move to a smaller place when we had more care needs (and more costs, too), but our possessions became less and less of an anchor and the focus shifted to just living life every day to the fullest with activities in our new communities – one of which I enjoyed the most was Art class.

My interest in art has in many ways become a metaphor for life. My first project was to paint fruit. I thought it would be easy and didn't know about shadow and form and color with the knowledge I have now. I followed the teacher's direction closely. And it so happens I am ambidexterous from an injury at a young age and found I could switch hands when one or the other hand was tired. I'm so in awe of artists like I wasn't before.

As I worked in art like my mom did as an elder in her retirement years when she moved from Colorado to California like I had, I took on her artistic competence. I told myself, "I know I can do this." The challenge of painting in different mediums became a way to overcome my obstacles in life. My canvas adapted and I found I could draw and move mountains - just like I could in a new place in my life, at a new physical address.

I found the act of creating enhances my own well being in several ways, for example:
1.) Expression of Myself: I came to see that self expression is a powerful way to share our lives with others. For example my painting of Hawaii was a way to tell people about my life there as briefer to Admirals at Camp Smith on Oahu. My watercolor painting of Waikiki brought back memories anew for me, and I could share them easily. Which brings me to my next point...

2.) Sharing life stories and memories: I also found that expressive art provides vivid access to my memory. I found that people who have difficulty expressing themselves because of speech impediments or phonetics, or different languages in my community could communicate through visual means and feel understood by others through their art.

3.)Interaction with Other: Socialization in the art room was another benefit that was new and different for me. I saw that seniors are less likely to feel lonely or isolated when drawing or painting in silence seated next to another - no words are even needed.

4.) Intellectual stimulation: art projects helped me to see the world in a new way.

5.) Our being changes from art: I know that studies have shown the physical benefits of art, like helping coordination. Art is beneficial in lessening pain & enhancing immune functioning. I found it meditative and a break from life's worry, too.

6.) Spiritual connection: I'm painting an image similar to Raphael's Christ. I feel a deeper connection to my faith through my art, while I enhance my skills of painting human musculature.

In my new setting of life that changed from patriarch in my family's home, to living in a more supportive community with assistance I need with my advancing Parkinson's Disease. This is assistance I never expected to need, but I look to the future with promise. And my daughter, Sharon, ensures me an there is no limit to what I can achieve as an artist -- possibly more blogging, maybe doing an art show or maybe even making a calendar or postcard collection with my works.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Caregiving Blog -A New Focus Shift in 2026

NOTE: THIS IS THE LAST BLOG RELATED TO FAMILY CARE/CAREGIVING. STAY TUNED FOR A NEW BLOG 2026 (AND ARCHIVED BLOG POSTS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN ...