The death of a Navy Seal this year in a raid in Yemen brought into close focus how much those in the military sacrifice for our country. The family must be devastated and yet so incredibly proud to have raised a son whose service inspires others to serve and yet reminds them of the steep price of freedom at the same time. I saw a card in the sympathy section of the store intended for someone who lost a loved one in military service and all I could think was that, "I hope no one near here has to buy that..." and that the reminder of sacrifice would remain far away.
In January, I was reading David Brooks's book, "The Road to Character" last month and it reinforces the idea behind how sacrifice, struggle and humility are nearly forgotten as values one should uphold. All things related to the self and advancing one's image and brand are the way forward in today's times, and the ideals of modesty and humility are seen as lacking use or relevance. How do we bring that back as so much underpins those values - especially in trying times?
My father, himself a military vet whose service led to a debilitating disease, said on a recurring basis how he accepts pain and sacrifice as something he could "offer up" as part of his faith. It was almost a sense of, "I will gladly take on this discomfort or pain if it eases that of others who are in need." I often think of that example -- and how I fall short! But in that same vein, I struggle to find ways to impart through my example to my kids how there doesn't need to be a give and take that is seen to the naked eye - it's something internal that you feel...a notion of "rightness."
I hope ideas like these take root in my own kids. I sincerely wish that the notion of humility at some point finds its way into the values to be upheld and past to other generations in an explicit manner. All I can do is humbly hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Final Caregiving Blog -A New Focus Shift in 2026
NOTE: THIS IS THE LAST BLOG RELATED TO FAMILY CARE/CAREGIVING. STAY TUNED FOR A NEW BLOG 2026 (AND ARCHIVED BLOG POSTS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN ...
-
NOTE: THIS IS THE LAST BLOG RELATED TO FAMILY CARE/CAREGIVING. STAY TUNED FOR A NEW BLOG 2026 (AND ARCHIVED BLOG POSTS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN ...
-
My dad's art of wine country hot air balloons was something I posted on my SmartsAtHome.com site & twitter account in a post today....
-
My dissertation at University of San Francisco (I'm a 2013 grad) dealt with caregiving across generations. My study was published by Sc...
No comments:
Post a Comment